(a) The Judicial Council.
(1) The Judicial Council of California is a state entity established by the California Constitution and chaired by the Chief Justice of California. The Judicial Council sets the direction for improving the quality of justice and advancing the consistent, independent, impartial, and accessible administration of justice by the judicial branch for the benefit of the public.
(2) The council establishes policies and sets priorities for the judicial branch of government. The council may seek advice and recommendations from committees, task forces, and the public.
(3) The Judicial Council Governance Policies are located in Appendix D of these rules of court. The policies describe the council's:
(C) Policymaking role;
(D) Members and officers and their roles;
(E) Internal organization;
(F) Relationship with its advisory groups;
(G) Relationship with the Administrative Director and the Judicial Council staff that he or she directs; and
(H) Internal policies and procedures.
(Subd (a) amended effective July 29, 2014; previously amended effective January 1, 2007, and August 14, 2009.)
(b) Constitutional authority and duties.
Article VI, section 6 of the California Constitution requires the council to improve the administration of justice by doing the following:
(1) Surveying judicial business;
(2) Making recommendations to the courts;
(3) Making annual recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature;
(4) Adopting rules for court administration and rules of practice and procedure that are not inconsistent with statute; and
(5) Performing other functions prescribed by statute.
(Subd (b) amended effective August 14, 2009.)
(c) Judicial branch goals.
The Judicial Council develops judicial branch goals in its strategic and operational plans. At six-year intervals, the council develops and approves a long-range strategic plan. At three-year intervals, the council develops and approves an operational plan for the implementation of the strategic plan. Each plan is developed in consultation with branch stakeholders and justice system partners.
(Subd (c) amended effective August 14, 2009; previously amended effective January 1, 2007.)
(d) Judicial Council staff.
The Judicial Council staff supports the council in performing its functions. The Administrative Director is the Secretary of the Judicial Council.
(Subd (d) amended effective July 29, 2014; adopted as subd (e); previously amended effective January 1, 2007; previously relettered as subd (d) effective August 14, 2009.)
Rule 10.1 amended effective July 29, 2014; adopted as rule 6.1 effective January 1, 1999; previously amended and renumbered effective January 1, 2007; previously amended effective August 14, 2009.