(a) Computer-generated or typewritten forms; conditions.
Notwithstanding the adoption of mandatory form Proof of Service of Summons (form POS-010), a form for proof of service of a summons and complaint prepared entirely by word processor, typewriter, or similar process may be used for proof of service in any applicable action or proceeding if the following conditions are met:
(1) The form complies with the rules in chapter 1 of this division except as otherwise provided in this rule, but numbered lines are not required.
(2) The left, right, and bottom margins of the proof of service must be at least 1/2 inch. The top margin must be at least 3/4 of an inch. The typeface must be Times New Roman, Courier, Arial, or an equivalent typeface not smaller than 9 points. Text must be single-spaced and a blank line must precede each main numbered item.
(3) The title and all the text of form POS-010 that is not accompanied by a check box must be copied word for word except for any instructions, which need not be copied. In addition, the optional text describing the particular method of service used must be copied word for word, except that the check boxes must not be copied. Any optional text not describing such service need not be included.
(4) The Judicial Council number of the Proof of Service of Summons must be typed as follows either in the left margin of the first page opposite the last line of text or at the bottom of each page: "Judicial Council form POS-010."
(5) The text of form POS-010 must be copied in the same order as it appears on form POS-010 using the same item numbers. A declaration of diligence may be attached to the proof of service or inserted as item 5b(5).
(6) Areas marked "For Court Use" must be copied in the same general locations and occupy approximately the same amount of space as on form POS-010.
(7) The telephone number of the attorney or party must appear flush with the left margin and below the attorney's or party's address.
(8) The name of the court must be flush with the left margin. The address of the court is not required.
(9) Material that would have been entered onto form POS-010 must be entered with each line indented 3 inches from the left margin.
(Subd (a) amended effective January 1, 2016; previously amended effective July 1, 1985, January 1, 1986, January 1, 1987, July 1, 1999, January 1, 2004, July 1, 2004, and January 1, 2007.)
(b) Compliance with rule.
The act of filing a computer-generated or typewritten form under this rule constitutes a certification by the party or attorney filing the form that it complies with this rule and is a true and correct copy of the form to the extent required by this rule.
(Subd (b) amended effective January 1, 2004; previously amended effective July 1, 1985, January 1, 1987, January 1, 1988, and July 1, 1999; relettered effective January 1, 1986.)
Rule 2.150 amended effective January 1, 2016; adopted as rule 982.9; previously amended effective January 1, 1989, July 1, 1999, January 1, 2004, and July 1, 2004; previously amended and renumbered as rule 2.150 effective January 1, 2007.
Advisory Committee Comment
This rule is intended to permit process servers and others to prepare their own shortened versions of Proof of Service of Summons (form POS-010) containing only the information that is relevant to show the method of service used.