(a) Emergency extensions of time.
If made necessary by the occurrence or danger of an earthquake, fire, or other public emergency, or by the destruction of or danger to a building housing a reviewing court, the Chair of the Judicial Council, notwithstanding any other rule in this title, may:
(1) Extend by no more than 14 additional days the time to do any act required or permitted under these rules; or
(2) Authorize specified courts to extend by no more than 30 additional days the time to do any act required or permitted under these rules.
(Subd (a) amended effective January 1, 2007.)
(b) Applicability of order.
(1) An order under (a) must specify whether it applies throughout the state, only to specified courts, or only to courts or attorneys in specified geographic areas, or applies in some other manner.
(2) An order of the Chair of the Judicial Council under (a)(2) must specify the length of the authorized extension.
(c) Additional extensions.
If made necessary by the nature or extent of the public emergency, the Chair of the Judicial Council may extend or renew an order issued under (a) for an additional period of:
(1) No more than 14 days for an order under (a)(1); or
(2) No more than 30 days for an order under (a)(2).
(Subd (c) amended effective January 1, 2007.)
Rule 8.66 amended and renumbered effective January 1, 2007; repealed and adopted as rule 45.1 effective January 1, 2005.
Advisory Committee Comment
The Chief Justice of California is the Chair of the Judicial Council (see rule 10.2).