The rules in this division must be construed to ensure that the proceedings they govern will be justly and speedily determined.
As used in this division:
(1) "Must" is mandatory;
(2) "May" is permissive;
(3) "May not" means is not permitted to;
(4) "Will" expresses a future contingency or predicts action by a court or person in the ordinary course of events, but does not signify a mandatory duty; and
(5) "Should" expresses a preference or a nonbinding recommendation.
(c) Construction of additional terms.
In the rules:
(1) Each tense (past, present, or future) includes the others;
(2) Each gender (masculine, feminine, or neuter) includes the others;
(3) Each number (singular or plural) includes the other; and
(4) The headings of divisions, chapters, articles, rules, and subdivisions are substantive.
Rule 8.802 adopted effective January 1, 2009.