Rule 8.814. Substituting parties; substituting or withdrawing attorneys

(a) Substituting parties.

Substitution of parties in an appeal or original proceeding must be made by serving and filing a motion in the appellate division. The clerk of the appellate division must notify the trial court of any ruling on the motion.

(b) Substituting attorneys.

A party may substitute attorneys by serving and filing in the appellate division a stipulation signed by the party represented and the new attorney.

(c) Withdrawing attorney.

(1)  An attorney may request withdrawal by filing a motion to withdraw. Unless the court orders otherwise, the motion need be served only on the party represented and the attorneys directly affected.

(2)  The proof of service need not include the address of the party represented. But if the court grants the motion, the withdrawing attorney must promptly provide the court and the opposing party with the party's current or last known address, e-mail address, and telephone number.

(3)  In all appeals and in original proceedings related to a trial court proceeding, the appellate division clerk must notify the trial court of any ruling on the motion.

(Subd (c) amended effective January 1, 2016.)

Rule 8.814 amended effective January 1, 2016; adopted effective January 1, 2009.

Rules that reference this rule: N/A